MAJOR-GENERAL GEORGE C. MEADE: The statue located in front of the courthouse is managed by the National Park Service and was created by Philadelphia sculptor Charles A. Grafly (1862-1929).
General Meade, a Pennsylvanian, was a noted Army officer during the Civil War and achieved fame in his defense of Gettysburg while commanding the Union forces. He commanded the Army of the Potomac in 1863. The statue is of marble on a marble base with grouped figures. Erected as a gift by the State of Pennsylvania at a cost of $85,000 under an Act of Congress January 21, 1915 (38 Stat. 1222), it was dedicated on October 19, 1927.